Paul and I made pizza from scratch (dough and all!) last weekend!
And it was GREAT!
It was actually our second attempt.
The first pizza was only alright, and we KNEW we could make it better.
So, last Saturday we made a few modifications to the recipe and...SUCCESS!
Our pizza tasted EXTRA delicious because...
1. We MADE the dough!
2. We chose exactly what toppings we wanted.
I went for a patchwork quilt of toppings - half with pesto, half with tomato sauce, and then some squares with olives and some with just cheese (mozzerella AND cheddar - oooh baby!)
3. WE MADE IT!
adapted from Everybody Likes Sandwiches
1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) yeast
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1. In a large bowl, combine yeast with warm water. Stir until dissolved.
2. Add sugar and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in olive oil.
4. Add flour and salt. Stir vigorously/knead with hands until fully combined.
(If the dough isn't coming together, add a little bit more olive oil)
5. Form into a ball and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7. Sprinkle flour onto a baking sheet (or two) and press dough into a thin layer (about half a centimeter).
8. Bake dough until golden on the edges and the centre, about 15 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and top with desired toppings.
10. Return to oven and bake until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes.
11. Om nom nom.